Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
Part-Time Worksite Monitor
STATEMENT OF THE JOB
Central Queens Y (CQY) is seeking site monitors to work in the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP). SYEP provides summer jobs to youth and young adults, ages 14-24. As an SYEP provider, CQY is responsible for carrying out an experiential and educational employment program for hundreds of youth participants, involving more than one hundred worksites throughout Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan.
Under the supervision of the Director of Youth & Adolescent Community Based Programs of the Central Queens Y, and within Samuel Field Y framework of a holistic (social, emotional, physical, and cognitive) Human Development Model of a family-supported, strength-focused, and hope-engendering practice, an individual hired as the SYEP Site Monitor for the Central Queens Y will report to the SYEP Program Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The SYEP Site Monitor will:
- Act as a liaison and maintain positive relationships between Central Queens Y and employment worksites.
- Conduct weekly site visits in order to interact with SYEP participants and conduct written worksite assessments.
- Ensure participant time sheets are completely, correctly, and accurately filled out and communicate with Worksite Supervisor to resolve any issues; visit worksites to collect time sheets on a weekly basis.
- Problem-solve, mediate, and coach young people around any issues that may arise at the worksite.
- Serve as a mentor to participants during SYEP process by supporting positive behavior, work skills development, and teaching life skills to youth.
- Assist with enrollment process and file-keeping.
- Provide administrative support critical to the successful roll out of SYEP.
- At least one (1) year or two (2) summers experience working with adolescents or young adults.
- Strong interest in working with at risk youth.
- Organization and attention to detail, including ability to triple check time sheets and documents for accuracy and completion.
- Ability to travel independently to worksites and interact professionally with a wide variety of constituents.
- Has a flexible personality, works well as part of a diverse team.
- Ability to communicate well with teenagers, parents and outside-agency staff.
- Enjoys working in a friendly, exciting and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to present themselves professionally at all times and demonstrate appropriate boundaries with teens, parents, external sites, and coworkers.
- Bilingual Spanish or Chinese preferred.
- Demonstrate cultural competency through familiarity in working with people from a very diverse number of backgrounds.
- Proficient in computer-based information systems.
- Strong strategic planning skills.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength based and/or youth development perspective.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EDUCATION
Completion or active pursuit of college degree.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to travel to multiple service sites within the division.
Hours: Part-Time (Seasonal)
Start Date: Position starts April 18 and continues through August 22, 2016.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Email cover letter and résumé, as a PDF or Word Document only, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate "SYEP Site Monitor" in the subject line of the email. Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.