The Central Queens YM & YWHA is seeking a New York State Department of Education Certified Teacher to join their staff as a HSE Instructor for Reading, Math, Writing, Science, and Social Studies.The qualified instructor will facilitate instruction in HSE preparation for young adults and at-risk students within our community based educational setting to take the New York State Equivalency TASC Exam. HSE classes are available for participants aged 16-24. The instructors will be responsible for teaching up to 20 students who test at varying grade levels in reading, math, writing, science, and social studies. The HSE Instructor will be expected to have the capacity to teach all levels including ABE, Pre-HSE, and HSE, contingent on the needs of the program's participants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The HSE Instructor will:
● Facilitate instruction in all assigned subject areas of the TASC exam (Reading, Writing, Math, Social Studies, and Science).
● Plan, prepare and teach lessons in accordance with the TASC exam and using a variety of methodologies with the purpose of passing the TASC exam.
● Create engaging instructional strategies and lesson plans in accordance with standards and best practices
● Provide weekly lessons plans
● Provide large and small group instruction as well as one-on-one tutoring
● Attend instructional workshops that will discuss all subtests of the new TASC exam.
● Monitor student progress and attendance.
● Work as a team with staff in program planning and student performance.
● Maintain constant contact with staff members on student’s performance and attendance.
● Adapt teaching style to engage and retain students.
● Integrate technology into instructional strategies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a related field.
- Strong interest in the opportunity to work in an environment dedicated to the development and growth of youth.
- Experience teaching young adult learners, and experience with disconnected youth who have been court-involved, educationally challenged and/or with learning disabilities, substance abuse issues, etc.
- Able to multitask efficiently and effectively.
- An upbeat personality and pleasant demeanor.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength based and/or youth development perspective.
- Familiarity with the TASC test preferred.
- Ability to establish a rapport with students and maintain an environment that supports learning.
- Availability to attend trainings and staff meetings.
Hours: Part-Time, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 6pm to 9pm. Schedules will vary depending on class
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and résumé to Erica Eisele, Out of School Youth Program Director at email@example.com Please indicate "HSE Instructor" in subject of email.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted