School Social Worker
Under the supervision of the Director of Youth & Adolescent Community Based Programs of the Central Queens Y, and within Samuel Field Y framework of a holistic (social, emotional, physical, and cognitive) Human Development Model of a family-supported, strength-focused, and hope-engendering practice, an individual hired as the School Social Worker for AIDP GPS will report directly to the Program Coordinator and Director of Youth & Adolescent CBPs. The School Social Worker will work in a school based setting to provide counseling and academic advisement to a caseload of students who have had a history of chronic absenteeism. The School Social Worker must have a passion for youth development and experience working with adolescents from strengths based perspective.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide individual and group counseling to program participants
- Provide academic advisement and tutoring to students in program.
- Develop and implement mental, emotional, educational and programmatic goals in collaboration with the participant and follow up throughout the duration of their involvement in program.
- Provide attendance outreach to students to assist them in improving attendance from pervious year.
- Administer home visits to program participants.
- Maintain ongoing communication and outreach with student’s families throughout the school year.
- Complete intake assessments and educational action achievement plans with students.
- Work collaboratively with all school based and agency staff. Attend all necessary interdepartmental meetings.
- Complete case notes, input outreach in online database and maintain case records and files for each student.
- Provide crisis intervention and make referrals as necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- An LMSW or Masters degree in Counseling/Psychology.
- Experience providing high quality youth and adolescent supportive and education programming for two (2) or more years.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish speaking preferred.
- Computer skills required.
- Experience working in a school based setting preferred.
- Interest and passion in providing social services to youth and families in need.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results in order to help youth and their families choose the best solutions in solving problems.
- Experience working with patients from culturally diverse backgrounds, and the ability to demonstrate cultural competence and sensitivity.
- Organizational skills to coordinate multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, networking, and transactional skills.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to travel to multiple service sites within the division and homes of program participants for home visits.
Start Date: February 18, 2013
Please email a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. Please indicate “School Social Worker” in subject of email.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.