ELT Teacher for GPS Program at John Bowne H.S.
Under the supervision of the Director of Youth & Adolescent Community Based Programs of the Central Queens Y, and within the Samuel Field Y framework of a holistic (social, emotional, physical, and cognitive) Human Development Model of a family-supported, strength-focused, and hope-engendering practice, an individual hired as a Teacher for the Central Queens YM & YWHA GPS-NYC Program located at John Bowne High School will report directly to the Director of Youth & Adolescent Community Based Programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The GPS Teacher will:
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Instruct through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects, such as English.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Enforce all administration policies and rules governing students.
- Assign and grade class work and homework.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Observe and evaluate students' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
- BA or MA in Education or related field.
- DOE Certified Teacher for Grades 9–12.
Specifications for Experience and Training:
- Experience providing high quality class room skills to inner city high school students for two (2) or more years.
- Organizational skills to coordinate multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Energetic, creative thinker who can engage youth in learning.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure.
- Excellent written & oral communication skills.
- Ability to convey and participate in team oriented work.
- Computer literate, including experience with all Microsoft Office software packages, local area networks, and the Internet.
- Excellent grasp of problem sensitivity, i.e., the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
Specifications for Position:
- Applicants must be able to teach 2-3 classes per day from 2:00–5:00pm, Monday through Friday, five (5) days per week beginning in September 2013 and running (minimally) through June 2014. There may be some light administrative work associated with the position.
- Applicants must be Certified NYC Department of Education English Teachers and already have their DOE Fingerprints completed.
- This is a part-time position.
Hours: Seasonal (Part-Time); Class Hours are Mon.–Fri., 2:00–5:00pm
Start Date: September 2014–June 2014
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate "GPS Teacher" in subject of email.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.